Founded in 2005, the Jeffrey E. Smith Institute of Real Estate and Capital Markets operates within the Department of Finance of the Robert J. Trulaske, Sr. College of Business. Its mission is to provide educational opportunity in real estate to students of the Trulaske College and to members of the professional real estate and finance community.
In conjunction with the institute, JES Holdings hosts several events throughout the year in support of the students and their continued education.
Trends in Real Estate & Capital Markets Forum
One of the pillars of the Jeffrey E. Smith Institute of Real Estate and Capital Markets is to provide educational opportunities in real estate and finance to students of the Robert J. Trulaske Sr. College of Business. The institute firmly believes that while instructional lessons are important, the first hand experiences outside of the classroom can go beyond helping students long after graduation.
The annual Trends in Real Estate & Capital Markets Forum was created to achieve this vision. The Forum is an educational conference hosted by the University of Missouri’s Trulaske College of Business and sponsored by JES Holdings, LLC. The mission of the Forum is to create the very best environment and opportunities for students of the university to meet and interact with business professionals and leaders from the real estate community. This experience will give the students a more hands-on understanding of how the industry functions and also the opportunity to receive practical knowledge not found in textbooks.
Jeffrey E. Smith believes in fostering the real estate and finance entrepreneurs of tomorrow. On November 6, 2017 at the Trends in Real Estate & Capital Markets Forum, JES Holdings hosted its first Stock Case Competition event at the University of Missouri. The Stock Case Competition invited entrepreneurial student teams to compete by choosing a company impacted by Amazon and presenting a comprehensive case for how the company should respond to the threat.
Members of the University of Missouri faculty acted as qualifying judges. The judges evaluated all submissions and selected the top teams. The most innovative finalists presented to judges in front of a live audience of business professionals, professors and most importantly, their peers at Trends in Real Estate & Capital Markets Forum for a $3,000 cash prize.
To learn more about the Jeffrey E. Smith Institute of Real Estate & Capital Markets, please view the clip below:
Past Forums have included notable keynote speakers such as:
- 2017: Greg Silvers, President & CEO of EPR Properties
- 2015: Ronald J. Kruszewski, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Stifel Financial, Corp.
- 2014: David B. Henry, Vice Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Kimco Realty Corporation
- 2013: Kenneth Langone, Founder and CEO of Invemed Associates, LLC and Co-Founder of the Home Depot, Inc.
- 2011: Larry A. Silverstein, President and CEO, Silverstein Properties, Inc.
- 2010: Alan “Ace” Greenberg, Vice Chairman Emeritus, J.P. Morgan
- 2009: Ronald Pressman, President & CEO, GE Real Estate
- 2008: Warren Buffett, Chairman & CEO, Berkshire Hathaway
- 2007: Sam Zell, President & Chairman, Equity Group Investments
- 2006: David Stockert, President & CEO, Post Properties